Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

My "Me" Book from 1979

I have the best mother.  She saved my 1st grade "Me" book all of these years.  And now it is in my ownership.  The book was a collaboration between my first grade teacher and my art teacher, Mrs. Hollinger.  Myrna Hollinger was a renegade art teacher.  She taught me that coloring books have no place in a child's life.  The facade of her house was covered in all sorts of buttons and pins.  At one point she sold her eclectic upscale jewelry at Neiman's or Barney's.  I last saw her when I was in college and worked at a gourmet food store, back in the nineties when they were still called gourmet food stores.  She bought a ficelle.

Always striving for less-is-more living, currently I am in purge mode (can you say 8 bags to the Junior League thrift shop last week?) so another object, though replete with nostalgia, is exactly what I don't need.

If I only did this for my own children...

I love this connecting of history...my own 5 year old, The Wolfman's Brother, with his mother's creation from 35 years ago


My memory of going to the movie theater with Rachel Rezak, a couple of friends, and her dad, is so sweet.  We went to Mario's for pizza afterwards and everyone was able to get half a can of soda.  You know what?  That's all a child really needs, if any.  But those were the days before we drank water, so I was likely thirsty from the pizza.  We didn't know any better.

The word daven was yet to enter my lexicon.



Gelt.  Now that is a good thing to give kids for Hanukkah gifts.



We used oil with the paint in water to create the paper on which the drawings were glued.

No comments:

Post a Comment