Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Its It's & Its Zildjian

Perhaps one of my greatest pet peeves resulting from the proliferation of technology use today via blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and the like is the misuse of the apostrophe in the word "it."  A college professor told me many moons ago about a peril of email:  spelling errors would will increase exponentially, and he had little tolerance for such mistakes.  This is when, if we wanted to use email, we had to go to the computer cluster.  There was no such thing as dorm rooms being connected to the Internet.  This is also when I didn't know how to properly spell liaison.  Jump forward twenty years, and autocorrect and spell check are partially to blame.  Granted, people are busy and lazy and simply either don't have the time or desire to go back and make a correction.

But still.

Come on, people.

We all make spelling and grammatical errors more frequently online, and I am certainly not exempt from making this mistake.

And for that reason, I thank my brother for reminding me that the spelling of the famous cymbals is Zildjian, and not Ziljan as I previously wrote.

Wikipedia image


I can't imagine what Professor Whitfield is thinking now.


1 comment:

Uncle Goalie said...

You'll like this article on online grammar:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303410404577466662919275448.html?mod=e2tw

Post a Comment