Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Need a Smart Mama Head

It's a real skill to know how to manage your children's stuff.  And by stuff I mean the craft products, school projects and toys both big and small.  For years my friends have told me they just get rid of it when their kids are asleep.  And this is what I have done. Do you think they noticed the other day when their shrinky dinks were gone? 

But it's not easy and I continue to feel I am failing in this department. I don't want to get rid of the good stuff, but I don't think there is too much good stuff. But my children do. 

My kids seem to have a ridiculous amount of creations. More than the average suburban kids.   They dwell. They think a lot.  They value their junk. I can't stand it!  I want a clutter free home.  I don't like seeing nubby pencil stubs, pieces of yarn, scraps of paper, foam balls collecting lint balls.

And in true form of life mimicking art, when I look at my own possessions I see a lot of extra junk hanging around.  I have a whole box of photos from 2003. I have old journals, oodles of CDs that need to be burned, my high school and college papers I still haven't recycled.  

As I mentioned recently I try so hard to stay ontop of all this.  I am mindful of decluttering and have the right intentions.  I have been this way my whole life:  I recall being so proud of my clean desk drawers before Passover when I wax 9 or 10. I wanted my mom to see how good of a job I did.  

And yet it never seems to be enough.  I have friends who are much neater, tidier, on top of their stuff.  

Ever grateful for my own uniqueness I am grateful for what I have.  

I have friends who are huge slobs, packrats who can't part with a 20 year old sweater (or 5), leave their candy wrappers strewn about, don't use their garages because they are filled with their junk.  

I go through this exercise often:  at least I am not *that.*. I think the trick is to surrender to the flow and stop comparing.  Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.  Be in the moment and still be mindful of your stuff. And remember to always take care of your shoes. 

(John Lennon wheels video)


No comments:

Post a Comment