Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Food Tip #3: Girl Scout Cookie Mint Pie

It's Girl Scout Cookie time, and you know what that means.

That means I bought 3, count 'em, only 3, boxes of Thin Mints.  But wait, how do I manage even those 3 boxes which are so easily hidden away from my husband and children?  It's not even like I love Thin Mints.  I would rather eat homemade chocolate chip cookies.  But they do have that addictive quality that even I, not an ardent chocoholic, have trouble with when it comes to eating only 2.

That brings me to Girl Scout Cookie Mint Pie.  We entertain a lot on the weekends (Shabbat dinners and lunches), and tonight we have a table of 9 people for dinner.

That means I am all good with this pie.  Everyone will get a slice and maybe there will be leftovers.

My mom found this recipe in Theatrical Seasons:  Encore! a cookbook published by the Syracuse Stage.

It is essentially a meringue with crushed Thin Mints and nuts folded in.

I added a sorbet filling, so it is more of a crust now.
You could add whipped cream.
Or eat just plain.
Just make sure you have guests over or you will eat the whole thing.

It is sublime.




Girl Scout Cookie Mint Pie

preheat oven to 325

16 Thin Mint cookies, crushed
3 egg whites, room temperature
dash salt
3/4 C sugar
1/2 C chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
6 additional Thin Mint cookies, crumbled

Beat egg whites till soft peaks form.
Gradually add sugar till stiff peaks form.
(yes, a Kitchen-Aid mixer is what I use.  Ideally, freeze whisk and bowl first for ultimate egg whites)
Fold in vanilla, crumbs, nuts.
Spread into a greased 9 inch pie pan.
Bake 35 minutes.
Cool in fridge 3 hours

1 pint chocolate sorbet, softened at room temp for 15 minutes

Spread sorbet into pie.
garnish with Thin Mint cookie crumbles

Cover with Stretch-Tite (my preferred plastic wrap).

Freeze 1 hour at least

Cut into pie slices and your guests will be singing to high heavens.

*N.B. to my Jewish and Kosher readers:  Lest you be thinking, wait, how is Rachel serving this to her guests which is obviously on Shabbat and I am assuming correctly she cooks meat on that day, since the hechsher on the box is OU-D which means they are Dairy, and is Rachel this huge apikores?

Rest assured, dear reader, that I am a savvy mama and consumer as well as Kosher food eater.  I have full knowledge, in case you didn't, that the Orthodox Union discontinued its OU-DE designation years ago because the whole conecpt of Dairy Equipment, which is what the DE stands for, was apparantly too confusing for the average individual.  I do not consider myself to be the average individual.  We fully hold by Dairy Equipment and Thin Mints have zero dairy in them (they are made on shared equipment, as the box states).  Don't try to convince me there is a trace of dairy in these cookies.  It would say Milk as an ingredient.  No, no, this are fully OU-DE, and our practice is to remove all the meat food from the table before we serve DE food.  However, you might have a different practice and that is ok.  You might be that  individual who doesn't remove that meat from the table.  And guess what, you're still good!  You  might be that more machmir person who no longer holds by DE because you have joined the wave of humras that have swept our people.  And that is ok, too (I realize I might be exaggerating or misinformed, thinking that people aren't holding by DE because of humras.   Your Talmudic interpretation may not really be a stringency but a middle of the road thing.  Nah, it ain't middle of the road in my book if you don't hold by DE.  Could be you aren't well-versed on the halachot of DE.  Am I, you ask?  If you're curious about if there is a nafkamina involved, I really couldn't answer because I am the furthest from an illui that you'll every meet.  Oh, if I could only match up to Elie Weisel and Rabbi Weiss HaLivni.  Now, those men could really take this whole DE rant somewhere.  Who am I, anyway, just a pisher.  Back to the DE discussion, if I feel sad if you don't even hold by DE.  You just won't be enjoying this fully acceptable dessert after your Shabbes meal.  There's always Shavuos.  Girl Scout Cookies don't go bad.  They have enough preservatives in them to last a while.  Oh, I guess if you're Cholov Yisroel  all of this is a moot point, to which I say:  Chassidus totally rocks!  And if you're not chassidish, I am curious why you don't hold by Rav Moshe's tshuva on this issue.  (Assuming of course you are living in the United States.  And maybe Canada?  I am not really sure on that.  Naturally if you are in J-Burg or Zurich or if you're lucky enough to be traveling through India and for whatever reason you have found yourself on www.wholephamily.com then this assumption is clearly irrelevant.  At which point I let you know you have wasted way too much of your time reading this horrific paragraph.)  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rachel, I'm getting a kick out of your daily missives. Each seems to be a chapter of a longer compilation. They're a fun read.

Post a Comment