Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bindi: Every Women's Like, or Dirt on Your Face?

I thank my friend Abby for introducing me to bindi, which are Indian facial stick-on gems.  Abby's sister appears in this wedding video I blogged about recently.  We used to live across the street from Abby, and I  sometimes saw her daughter wearing bindi.   They are not Indian, but does that matter?  Saraswathi Vedam, the midwife for my first two children, is Indian and she is quite wise.  Bindi are fun and girls love them.  What a beautiful way to liven up one's female self.  I respect its Indian and Bangladeshi spiritual roots, but since I am Jewish I choose to not place bindi in the traditional between-the-eyebrow location.

Indian bindi can be found at your local Indian clothing store


I bought this package when I was last in Manhattan.  I went to 28th and Lexington, sometimes referred to as Curry Hill, and found hundreds of different styles.  You can get bindi on Ebay, naturally.  I wore bindi later that night, and my new friend, Cute Indian Girl, complimented me.  Yay.

My brother, The Goalie, saw my daughter, Concealed Light, wearing bindi this past weekend for her Aunt Reba's birthday celebration.  The Goalie said, "Um, I think you've got some dirt on your cheek."  Thanks a lot, Uncle Goalie.  We all laughed about it.

Don't think my mom is going to like this ridiculous photo of me. 



I did not go out with the faux nose pierce.
I am laughing terribly at that photo.


And if you want to see Saras, who I hold in the highest regard when it comes to childbirth, look no further!



No comments:

Post a Comment