Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

The Basketball Coach

Though I already wrote him a handwritten note, since this is the ultimate expression of class (which Derek Blasberg recently wrote in his book Very Classy (click on that link to the Washington Post review from 12/2/11) which my own mother reared me properly to do, I have to thank one person in particular for his role in this phishy journey.

PurpleGirl's brother (not blood brother but her soul brotha), The Basketball Coach, is a tall guy.  He is gregarious and a true mentch.  He also happens to be very tall and easy to pick out of a crowd.  So, over the years when I would go to shows and my heart would be pining for my dear soul sista PurpleGirl (because I knew she was at the shows but it wasn't our custom to make a plan to meet) I would keep my little eye out for the Coach.  

Because everything happens for a reason, I often spotted the Coach, and would ask him to lead me to PurpleGirl.  And that would happen over and over again.

Which leads me to remembering seeing the Coach in the Hartford parking lot a few years ago where I met the very holy M.C. and his kallah as they belted out "Rider" (if you ever see a very sweet, cute, petite, married mandolin-playing duo in Israel please say hello).  Seemingly out of nowhere runs along the Coach, and he is sending his regards to me.

Just about this same time is when I saw the mysterious purveyor (I say this because I haven't seen him again since then) who was selling the Mr. Snuffleupagus's sister (or cousin) Alice t-shirt that you will only find from him because he created it (and was a staple on Dead tour, but as I only saw them once, in 1994, yes, I am a late-bloomer but all in my right time, I never saw that shirt before or after).  I  have since asked the Coach numerous times if he sees this shirt to please get me one and I will pay him back.  So, all of you 5 faithful readers out there, if you see that shirt please buy me one and you will make Loony smile, smile, smile.

Coach, you is da bomb!  (I mentioned that good-ole phrase to my 2nd son the Wolfman the other night and he had no clue.  It was really sweet trying to explain it to him).

No comments:

Post a Comment