Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Is Suzy Greenberg a Cultural Stereotype?

 Suzy Greenberg is the name of a ficticious girl and the title of a classic old-school Phish song.  Without a doubt, she is Jewish.  I think many Phish heads aren't particularly into it because they have heard it so many times or perhaps they aren't impressed with its musicianship.  However, from the moment I first heard this tune, I couldn't help but make the direct connection to Carole Kane's character in Annie Hall.

 It is almost as if the songwriter had this clip in mind when writing Suzy:

please advance to :48



(thank you, Mr. Woody Allen, for creating such iconic Americana on the silver screen)


Here is an old performance of the song:






Some reflections on the lyrics:
  •  Growing up, I was sometimes called "Loony bin"
  • I am not a sociologist, rather an American Studies major (at Brandeis, like Woody Allen's cultural stereotype)
  •  "She's out of her mind and she's not of this earth."  Hmm...I have been told this blog is too Loony.
  • "An artist she may be, but a genius she is not."    I am not an artist, but my sister Reba is. Most definitely not a genius.
  • I might walk the streets like I'm the "queen of the town" only because my Jewish/Hebrew middle name is Malka which means queen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment