Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

And It's the Ocean That's Flowing in Our Veins

Mother Earth is an image that I simply love.

Don't so many of us?

Naturally, I am a mother and therefore I relate to the whole mother imagery.

But I love nature, and this week is Tu B'Shvat, which is the Jewish birthday of the trees, and so I am thinking about Mother Earth a little bit more these days.  I love this holiday since it is all about nature and trees and Israel.  All things I love.

I also love the children's book The Story of the Root Children, which is a lovely story written by Sibylle von Olfers,  about 100 years ago.  It has a lot of Mother Earth imagery in it.  It is the type of book that Waldorf families read.  We aren't a Waldorf family, but we do like homemade toys!

you can buy this at Amazon.com.  No, I get no compensation for providing you that link.  Am I too nice?



Speaking of Mother Earth imagery, I simply love the album art from the Grateful Dead's sixth studio album, Wake of the Flood.

Talk about a very in-shape Mother Earth!  Look at those well-sculpted arms.  Don't think my own mother would be as jazzed about this album cover as me.  Oh well, variety is the spice of life, as they say.


Now, getting back to the title of my blog post.

You see the ocean that is flowing in her veins in this album cover art?

If you don't, maybe you want to at least listen to the song that my friend The Nunever reminded me of this morning, and how its lyrics have great depth and connection and real meaning and all that.




1 comment:

Ashira said...

I know I tell you this often but there just doesn't seem any other way to express my feelings for you...

I LOVE YOU!

You are my sister sunshine
My holy earth mother mama
Phish groovin' Rainbow rollin'
Loony Loony Loonin!

I am thinking fondly back to our Tu B' Shevat seders in Riverdale! Gevalt, gevalt! Remember the Rebbe Nachman play with you and Steiny as the leading couple!

We miss you guys
Thank you for appreciating the earth
THank you for appreciating the trees
The environment, the universe
All of Hashem's glorious creations

Thanks for reminding me about the "Root Children"-- my copy is in storage.

Love ya! Ashira

Post a Comment