Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Happy Birthday, Bob Marley and Tong Yuen

Not only are we busy getting ready for Tu B'Shvat and celebrating Chinese Lantern festival with tong yuen which are rice balls (recipe to follow), but thank you to all of my Facebook friends for alerting me to the fact that today is Bob Marley's birthday.

My high school friend Mike posted a lovely rendition of "Lively Up Yourself," from 6/13/80

As you know I love numerical synchronicity.  When I saw the date of this YouTube, I livened up myself!

6/13 or, 613 is a significant number in Judaism.  As you know, I am Jewish and I live a Jewish life, so when I see that number of course I make the connection.  I have mentioned how I love when I go to Madison Square Garden, especially to see my favorite band, I view the jersey hanging high above for "Horowitz" with the number 613.

613 refers to the total number of mitzvot or commandments in the Torah.


Don't know if my friend Mike looked at that date or realized, but I think it's pretty cool.

So, there, I have linked Rastafarians with Jews.  Not such a huge stretch.









Tong Yuen
family recipe from my friend Hannah

Serves 2

1 tsp oil
2/3 c glutinous rice flour (use up what’s left from making nian gao)
Cold water
Roasted, crushed peanuts
Sugar

Add water gradually to the rice flour and mix by hand until melded.  Shape into bite-sized balls.
Boil in water until they float to the top.  Cool before sampling!  Serve, sprinkled with peanuts and sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment