Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Been to the Gas Station in Philadelphia This Week?

When we moved to Philly from NYC last summer, one thing that helped me feel so civilized in my new city is that the gas pumps still had the locking mechanism under the handles that enabled me to let the fuel pump on its own.  I had done some online research while I was living in the hardscrabble neighborhood of the Northwest Bronx, and learned that due to safety issues the locks are being removed.  Each state has its own laws.

Ah, what do they know!  Pennsylvania has it right and kept the locks.

Well, I enjoyed about 6 months of gas-station bliss, until this appears yesterday at my local Cumberland Farms gas station:

Note the two holes under the metal lever.  Locks have been removed!


Alas, this is the way of the world, and I guess this is just the way it is.

I don't know enough to say if it's safer, but some online resources indicate this as such.

Personally, I am a skeptic to all online information, and I do have to wonder what type of State or Federal regulations are behind all of this, but one thing is for sure:

Just gotta go with it and move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment