Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

More Shtuff Folks Say...This Time It's Those New York (Jews) Again

Oh those New Yorkers.  Clever they are.  Watching this video reminded me of my first subway ride alone in Manhattan in January 1995.  I know that My People are so small in numbers, and yet it warmed me when I overheard two women on the subway talking about upcoming bar mitzvah plans.

Eliot and Ilana Glazer capture good stuff here.  And when you include the words shlep (Yiddish for "lug stuff."  Not derogatory) and schmuck (Yiddish for "complete and inane jerk."  Fully derogatory, yet accepted as ok to use in casual conversation.)  in your "generic" parody of the original Sh*t Girls Say, you gotta remember that in New York you don't have to be Jewish but it don't hurt to be.  Pat Kiernan, what do you think?

Why is it that countless Elliots and Eliots are yidden (Yiddish word for Jews.  Not derogatory).  One of life's mysteries.  Also, guys named Yale.


No comments:

Post a Comment