Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

From Rihanna to Eddie Murphy in 30 Seconds Flat...Mama Say What?!

(disclaimer: if you really want to get it done in 30 seconds, do not watch the embedded videos!)


 Yesterday, towards the end of spin class, Rihanna's "Don't Stop the Music" came on the speakers.  Ever so conveniently placed, indeed I didn't want the music to end, since I was finally getting my spin groove on.  I am not very contemporary with popular music, so I owe much of my knowledge and exposure to it via my excellent spin instructors.  In truth, I don't connect much to the music:  the beat seems somewhat empty to me.  I am a classic rock and Jam band type of mama.  I don't like how women are objectified.  I certainly don't want my children watching this video.  Stango would definitely not be into it.

Rihanna is beautiful despite the fact that I don't agree that she uses her body, sex and overall image to sell herself.  Isn't that Hollywood, though?  She has made a career out of it, and I give her that.  I am sure she is a hard worker.



Ever interested in connections, I love how she borrows from Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Startin' Something" when she says "mama say mama sah mama makusa"




Ever thirsty for knowledge, I researched that phrase, which, according to this Wikipedia entry, has its roots in Makossa music, which is popularized in Camaroon cities.

Call me an ignorant American, but I don't know much about Camaroon.

Except for this classic scene from "Trading Places," where Eddie Murphy pretends to be an exchange student from Camaroon.






Which leads me back to the City of Brotherly Love, where this film is largely based.

It is my new city and it is a good one!

1 comment:

Brian "cuz" Silverman said...

Well, I didn't know you were so ignorant about Camaroon.

A Camaroon is a light coconut-based dessert treat, often (but certainly not exclusively) served by Jewish families on Passover. As I don't like coconuts, I recommend the chocolate covered Camaroon, and suggest you just each off the chocolate coating.

Oh, and BTW, you misspelled it, it starts with an M.

Post a Comment